Sunday, March 18, 2012

Family.

The dictionary definition of family is...
 
a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children, considered as a group, whether dwelling together or not: the traditional family.
 
I would like to argue this. To me, family is a group of people, not just parents and their children,who support each other through all of life's seasons, that grow and change together, that come together in good times and bad and continue to love one another regardless of time or distance between them. I love my "traditional" family but I also consider my lifelong friends my family, Mr. Jones' family my family and their friends part of my family too. Mum & Dad Jones are a wonderful example of what it looks like to have lifelong friends who have become family members and I look forward to watching my friends and I grow and change together over the years, blurring the lines between friends and family until it seems that there's never been any difference in the two at all. 

We were fortunate enough to host The Joneses the other night and their family friends who were visiting from the UK for dinner at ours. Sitting around the table together it didn't feel like sitting with Mr. Jones' parents and their friends, it felt like sharing a meal with my family, regardless of whether or not we are related I know that their lifelong friends will also be the people that will be in my life for forever as well. I am so fortunate to have such wonderful people in my life and I will forever be grateful to Mr. Jones for sharing his family with me. 
 
 Jen, Geoff and Mum & Dad Jones


We went with an "Italian" theme, with Mr. Jones making my grandfathers famous spaghetti and meatballs and I served biscotti, fruit and coffees for dessert. Perfect for a chilly night in.

 
The crew!

Wishing you all a happy Sunday. Hope this week is filled with those you love, friends, family, or both.
 
XOXO- Miss V.


 
 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your definition of family, glad you enjoyed your time with them. I'm really craving some Italian now, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Miss V., I wasn't sure how to summarise such a special evening as part of our short stay in the Bay Area but you have put pictures and words together that just 'say it all'. You even got my surname in the title (Short) which I suspect is a complete accident but that makes it even more special ! Jennie and I celebrated 3 years together on 7th March and I so wanted her to enjoy this trip and share some of my favourite places in and around San Francisco. Barry and Brenda made it all I had hoped for and more. Catchin' up with those rascals Alex and Elliott after such a long time was great then you and Elliott provided the icing on the cake with a memorable evening in your heavenly abode. We will probably wax lyrical about our trip for many months to come and we have the photos to prove it. Your comments on family are poignant for one so young. I often refer to Barry as the brother I never had. We shared some times that many blood relatives will never know about or understand. We moved to Calfornia in the same month over 20 years ago but our live paths have been so very different since then. Thanks for sharing your blog and including us as part of your 'family'. I hope Jennie and I can return the compliment one day but the view may NOT be as impressive. Lots of love and happiness to you and Elliott from you latest extended family members......Geoff & Jennie x

    ReplyDelete